Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 1999 16:24:32 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From:      Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   run away "more" processes with /bin/sh on FreeBSD 3.3

Hi,

We are heavy duty FreeBSD users, our main e-mail server for 8,000 users is
handled by FreeBSD.

After upgrading our mail server from 3.1 to 3.3, we noticed users
who have a login shell of /bin/sh with runaway "more" processes.

We can recreate the problem on a separate box...

- make the login shell on a user "/bin/sh"
- send the user an e-mail message of 50 lines or so
- login to the userid
- run "mail" and look at the message.  When it displays one screen, just
  walk away.
- from root, kill the "telnetd" process of the user.
- run "top" and see "more" hogging CPU.

The problem does not happen on 3.1
The problem does not happen with login shell /bin/csh

The problem occurs "naturally" on users who have logged in from far away,
and lose their connection somehow.  The keepalive eventually kills their
inactive telnetd, and then "more" starts burning.

We are, of course, exploring the possibility that we have caused the
problem with a config file, kernel setting, etc.