Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:47:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared memory - Was: 2 Queries

:> are almost identical in nature to the ones I've been getting from other
:> programs *not* gtk/gdk based ;)  The link between them so far is shared
:> memory...
:
:Personally, I have this extreme distaste for sysv shared memory.  It
:is a very scarce resource that is not freed automatically, and seems
:to go completely against the unix model.  Reminds me of having to free
:memory on the Amiga, and slowly running out of chip RAM.
:
:In any case, one major offender is imlib.  Since I've recently gone
:Gnome, I've had to turn off imlib's "MIT-SHM shared memory" option
:or things would go bad after a few minutes or hours of use.
:--
:Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
:chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net
:
:Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/

    Maybe we can convince them / submit patches to use mmap() based shared
    memory (file-backed), which we can now do efficiently with the
    MAP_NOSYNC option.

    I have a love-hate relationship with SysV shared memory.  On the one hand
    it is virtually guarenteed to work across all UNIX platforms.  On the
    otherhand most platforms have absurd resource limitations applied to
    SysV shared memory calls.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>