Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:38:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: LPD problems in 4.4-STABLE

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Garance A Drosihn wrote:

:>At 4:09 PM +0200 9/18/01, Hartmann, O. wrote:
:>>Each normal user is able to use 'lpq' on each machine and gets a report
:>>of the status of the standard print-queue or the appropriate selected
:>>queue. Only root is not able to connect to the lpd! 'lpq' reports
:>>
:>>	lpq: Unable to contact server!
:>>
:>>but the server daemon is running! The same to 'lpc'. Users are able to
:>>administer their jobs with lpc, but global administration by root with
:>>lpc is not possible. 'lpc' hangs for a while, then shows up the
:>>lpc-prompt but with a harsh limited set of options (quit, status
:>>and help). 'status' shows nothing, no queue, no job.
:>>
:>>Well, it sounds very strange that only root is excluded from access
:>>to the lpd. Please help.
:>
:>I am not aware of any change to lpc, lpd, or lpq which would result
:>in this behavior.  This is very strange behavior.
:>
:>My first guess is to find out if root is running the same version
:>of 'lpq' and 'lpc' as the users who can do these commands.  If your
:>user's shell is csh or tcsh, then type 'which lpq'.  If the shell
:>is sh, bash, or ksh, then type 'type lpq' (or maybe 'type -a lpq').
:>
:>I am thinking that perhaps you have something like 'lprNG' installed,
:>and maybe root is getting the standard BSD versions of lpc/lpq,
:>while other users are getting the versions which match lprNG.
:>Also do this same check on the 4.3 machines where everything is
:>working.  Perhaps someone had created symlinks from the standard
:>locations of lpc/lpq to the lprNG versions.
:>
:>--
:>Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
:>Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad@freebsd.org
:>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih@rpi.edu
:>

No, I do not use lprNG. I use that what comes with FreeBSD - pures,
as a monolith! As I wrote in my posting, all client programs use
the same version/codebase (I checked this) due a make world I did
on highnoon this day. Since I switched today from FreeBSD 4.4-RC
to FreeBSD-STABLE nothing is working with the printing system,
our printserver is completely unavailable!

The phenomenon ist, that on clientside under a userid other that root
I get response from lpc (but not the administartive rights!!) showing
me the queues. Using lpq results is a message, that the 'queue Printer_XX
on server xxxx.xxxx.xxx is turned off'. Using on the client 'lpq' as root
results in 'lpq: Unable to contact server!'. lpc results in a timeout
and shows a limited command set.
On the printserver itself this behaviour is exactly the same! The codebase
is also FBSD 4.4-STABLE as cvsupdated today (11 o'clock) and made a world.

root is not allowed to access lpd-system. The configuration did not change
withing the last three months! The problems occured about three days ago,
thursday last week I did the last make world on the printserver system,
since then the system is crashed ...

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)