Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 01:24:33 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any experience with "Asus A8N-SLi" or "Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI" mobos?

Roman Neuhauser wrote:

># obrien@freebsd.org / 2005-02-15 10:00:11 -0800:
>

>>Stop supporting nVidia by buying nForce-based motherboards.  Or complain
>>to nVidia that they (1) won't give us docs even under NDA, (2) won't
>>provide a FreeBSD driver like they do for Linux.  These mailing lists are
>>filled with all the problems of nForce motherboards, yet FreeBSD users
>>keep buying them...
>>

>    This reminds me I wanted to raise this question: What is the
>    recommended chipset for an athlon64 (either 754 or 939)?

Personally, unless there are cost reasons, take the 939.  It has double
the memory bandwidth.  It doesn't make a huge amount of difference to
unix type apps.  In my experience, it make a small to medium improvement
for most apps, and a large improvement to some.  Yes, that is over
generalized.  Also in general, both are excellent platforms.

Both of my primary development boxes are still 754's.  I haven't felt
the urge to upgrade them to 939's yet.  Once the Rev-E's come out, I
think I'll take the plunge though.

-Peter