Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:23:14 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Peter C. Verhage" <peter@no-nonsense.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird load averages

In message <004101c16cd7$b714b2c0$0200000a@peter>, "Peter C. Verhage" writes:
>last pid: 72033;  load averages:  1.01,  1.02,  0.94 up 18+11:55:05
>
>Check the load averages. They have been like that for over 5 minutes now
>(I've been looking at it for 5 minutes now, so maybe even longer...). And
>they don't change! If I look at the CPU states and if I look at the CPU time
>of every process it's almost 0.00 for each process. So I don't understand
>why the load averages don't decrease... :/

Sometimes such "phantom" loads can occur when a system process such
as the bufdaemon becomes synchronised with the timing of the samples
that determine the system load average. In -current, some random
variation has been added to the sample timing to avoid this problem;
I must merge that change into -stable soon.

Ian