Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2014 10:22:32 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, dteske@freebsd.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Leaving the Desktop Market

On 1 Apr 2014, at 23:10, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Audio output is pretty system dependent, but I had little problem =
getting
> my audio to auto-switch to headphones when I plugged them in. The =
setup is
> a bit ugly,but I only had to check the available PINs (ugly, ugly) and =
set
> up stuff once. It just works. If you want my example set-up, I can =
post it
> somewhere or you can look in the archives for it as I have posted it =
in the
> past.

It would be good to have this in the handbook (and to see what we can do =
to improve it).  FreeBSD audio typically works out of the box and it's =
great when it does[1], but it can be underdocumented black magic to make =
it work when it doesn't.  For example, I believe it's possible to tell =
pcm that when it receives a stereo stream it should redirect the left =
channel to the front and rear left, and the right channel to the front =
and rear right, but I haven't yet worked out how to do this - I'd have =
thought it was the kind of default that we'd want to have.

The use case that PulseAudio was [over]designed to fix was plugging in =
USB headphones (or connecting a Bluetooth headset) and having existing =
audio streams redirected there.  This should be possible with the =
existing sound stack, but there are some bits of plumbing missing.  We =
already do in-kernel mixing and resampling, which are the hard bits.  =
Duplicating streams and redirecting them are trivial by comparison.

David

[1] Although I had a slightly embarrassing moment when I spent an hour =
hunting for docs to tell me how to configure my media centre box do 5.1 =
output and then decided to just try it and found it worked out of the =
box.=