Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:43:45 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        af300wsm@gmail.com
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: What's the simplest way to get a fresh copy of the source code for the system

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 06:27:06PM +0000, af300wsm@gmail.com wrote:
>  On Feb 23, 2009 10:43am, Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>  > On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:15:16AM +0000, af300wsm@gmail.com wrote:
>  >
>  > > Hi,
>  >
>  > >
>  >
>  > > My churches web server is having problems compiling world for FreeBSD
>  >
>  > > 7.0-p10 (I believe I just did the csup last night). It gets to this =
point
>  >
>  > > and then stops with this error:
>  >
>  > >
>  >
>  > > touch gtype-desc.h
>  >
>  > > touch: No such file or directory
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > The file gtype-desc.h doesn't exist on my 7.1 system.
>  >
>  > I think that this means that the 'touch' binary is missing. See below.
>=20
>  I had over looked that possibility but I agree now that you mention it e=
specially in light of
>  reading your further comments below.
>=20
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Touch should never complain about missing files, because one of its
>  >
>  > purposes is to create files that don't exist. So it is probably the
>  >
>  > 'touch' binary itself is missing. Try 'which touch'. It should report
>  >
>  > '/usr/bin/touch'. If it doesn't, touch is MIA.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > It might be saved in the lost+found directory of the partition that
>  >
>  > holds /usr/bin.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > The easiest way to get it back is to just build touch. Or copy it from
>  >
>  > the install/live-cd.
>=20
>  I'm a little unclear about how to build individual programs from within =
the source tree. Can you
>  please explain how I'd do this?

I think the correct way is to do the following:

  cd /usr/src/usr.bin/touch
  make obj && make depend && make && make install

This should build the binary in a directory under /usr/obj. When it's
done you can remove /usr/obj/*

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it might be a good idea to start
thinking about making backups...=20

Roland
--=20

--/9DWx/yDrRhgMJTb