Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 22:16:35 +0900
From:      Makoto MATSUSHITA <matusita@jp.freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: making a RELEASE [should make buildworld made before?]

obrien> However, today's buildworld is more resilent having better
obrien> build-tools, etc.. targets than when release/Makefile was
obrien> first written.  Maybe this need could be removed.  But this
obrien> hasn't happened yet.

If I understand the facts of src/release/Makefile correctly,

- First 'make installworld' under /usr/src is for "creating a chroot
  environment for further release engineering." Maybe it can be
  supercedesed by copying existing environment or just extracting
  'bin' distribution. But there is no tool for this.

- Second 'make buildworld' inside a chroot environment is the actual
  build procedure. Obviously, it cannot remove :-)

- Second 'make installworld' inside a chroot environment is for
  "creating an environment for further _actual_ release procedures."
  Even though we have much much better procedures for build-tools,
  _actual_ release procedures (release.[1-9], doc.?, cdrom.?, and
  ftp.? target in src/release/Makefile) does not consider about
  that. If these procedures requires newer version of toolchain, it
  should be a release-breaker.

As a result,

1) we can remove first 'make buildworld/installworld'
	- if there is an another way to build a chroot environment
	  (e.g., copy distributions, use existing environment), or
	- if we have a tool to create a chroot environment from
	  existing environment (maybe it also helps jail(8) users).

2) we can remove second 'make installworld'
	- if all tools used in actual release procedure depend on
	  the ones which are build by previous 'make buildworld'.

Maybe 1) is easy, 2) is a little bit difficult to do...

-- -
Makoto `MAR' MATSUSHITA