Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2014 22:17:27 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   New iSCSI Stack in 10.x - Prevent hangs on a dead target?

Hi,

I've been setting up iSCSI with a couple of 10.x boxes recently (using the
new iscsictl / ctld et'al).

This seems to work well - but if I connect to a remote iSCSI target - and
that host 'dies' I/O on the local /dev/daX device for that dead target just
halts - for what seems to be 'indefinitely'.

In /var/log/messages - I can see the system trying to reconnect (to the
dead host) - but I can't see sign (or way of telling it) it to 'give up'
and move on after some timeout.

e.g. I have a bunch of iSCSI disks in use with ZFS - this works fine until
the remote node dies (which takes half the disks with it).

ZFS just halts all I/O then on the pool - until I do, e.g. 'iscsictl -R -p
dead-host-ip'.

Is there any way of setting this on either the initiator (or the target) -
it looks like something like iSCSI Time2Retain might cover it - but I can't
find anywhere to set that, or anything similar...

Thanks,

-Karl