Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2017 01:08:01 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <doug@mail.sermon-archive.info>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Weird boot problem

I had to move a bunch of servers to a new location yesterday.  That was =
an interesting exercise.  However, two of the systems exhibited the same =
behavior when first booted at the new facility.  The message gptboot: =
could not find on 0(ad2).  I believe I recall this correctly.  A search =
on that message indicated that there should be another word between find =
and on like kernel or loader.  There was nothing there on either system. =
 The system appeared to reboot after that message as there were a couple =
other messages and then that message reappeared.  I believe all of the =
systems are MBR formatted.  I don't believe any are new enough to =
support GPT.

Given that there were other systems coming up at that time, I left them =
till the end.  Nothing seemed to change anything.  In desperation we =
power cycled one of them and it booted properly with no error messages. =
Not being on site, I didn't see what was done to the other, but I =
suspect it was a power cycle and then it came up.  There was no =
identifiable corruption on either system.  I am a bit fearful of =
rebooting them again.

Any ideas what might have caused this and is it something telling me go =
get new systems?