Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:00:24 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        Adam <aventure@csf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Darwin and FreeBSD

Adam wrote:

>I think i read somewhere that mac ox X's darwin was based off of FreeBSD 3.2
>(correct me if I'm wrong).  And companies like adobe and macromedia are working
>over their respective programs to make them run under native os x. I was
>wondering then what are the chances of being able to port those apps to freeBSD?
>
>Could we see the Adobe suite and the Macromedia suite avaiable for FreeBSD?

Chances are slim, as in fact Mac OS X is based on Darwin, which in turn
is based on a Mach kernel, a FreeBSD 3.2 userland, without X11. The
Macintosh user interface ("Aqua") is not available for any other
operating system, but will be needed to have Adobe, Macromedia, Quark
et. al. to port their applications to Free/Open/NetBSD.

Just my EUR.02
-Christoph Sold