Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:57:59 -0500
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Openoffice

Hi,

It has been a long time since I tried to install Openoffice from
packages, but I would prefer not to have to build it.

I have been fishing around at all the old sites where I found
it some years ago and can't seem to find anything reasonable.

eg.:  http://projects.imp.ch/openoffice/
and:  http://oootranslation.services.openoffice.org/pub/OpenOffice.org/ooomisc/FreeBSD/
I get lists of files that are not clear as to what to download plus
when I try to download one that looks like it is for FreeBSD 8.1 it
fails complaining it cannot change directory or find a directory.

pkg_add -r fails with the following two messages.

Error: Unable to get ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/Latest/openoffice.tbz: No address record

pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-8.1-release/Latest/openoffice.tbz' by URL

The latest thing I could get from freebsd.org was version 2.4.3_2 and I
had to manually download that.

Is there anything more recent that is reliably available?

By the way I tried Abiword and could not read in a plain text file -
one with just regular text created with vi.   It made some irregular
blob in the middle of the page that looked like all the characters
mushed together.

Otherwise I would be using that and ignoring Openoffice.

////jerry