Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2014 21:48:35 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT: Intel Haswell KMS support?

--Sig_/lEUrF8X+oQslPtItLcxYzgG

Am Wed, 31 Dec 2014 21:02:35 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> schrieb:

> El d=C3=ADa Wednesday, December 31, 2014 a las 08:30:11PM +0100, O. Hartm=
ann escribi=C3=B3:
>=20
> > I've already switched a bunch of  Haswell-based notebooks to a Linux sy=
stem due to the
> > lack of iGPU support. It is ridiculous to purchase outdated hardware (I=
vyBridge and
> > less or outdated graphics hardware).
>=20
> Is VESA an option for you until Haswell support comes up in FreeBSD? The
> question is serious, because I'm on the way to install -HEAD in an Acer C=
720=20
> cromebook with Haswell too.
>=20
> As well I do run (just for tests) Xorg with VESA on my current netbook
> Acer D250 (which has an old Intel chip) and I do not note any
> difference.
>=20
> 	matthias

On a Lenovo ThinkPad E540/L540 with Haswell i5-4200M or i5-4210M with iGPU =
4600 and
nVidia 740M Optimus GPU I hadn't success using the VESA driver. The display=
 has a
HD resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixel, which seems to make VESA unusable. I ha=
d to use
x86-video-scfb - which is a pain in the ass: extremely slow, keystrokes som=
etimes pass
through from the console to the graphics screen (it looks like this, I have=
 no better
desription for that phenomenon). Under load, X11 is unusable since the CPU =
has to render
the whole screen alone.

A similar situation arose with Lenovo ThinkPad X240 with high resolution sc=
reens and
Haswell/HD4600 iGPU.

I'm not familiar with the VESA driver. I left that path due to its resoluti=
on
limitations. We deal with modern hardware and I'm not willing to purchase o=
utdated
hardware for the sake of the OS. On most laptops with Haswell CPUs we migra=
ted to Linux
- with great success. As a sideeffect things run more smooth right now. Len=
ovo offers a
new type of WiFi NIC which also isn't supported by FreeBSD. The problem wit=
h Lenovo is
that their UEFI doesn't allow to simply swap the miniPCIe WiFi NIC for a su=
pported
device. With most recent and modern products from Lenovo and FreeBSD (even =
CURRENT) we
ended up dead in the water.=20

In general there is a serious problem with the graphics support in FreeBSD.=
 Recent
hardware from AMD and Intel isn't supported, only nVidia offers support via=
 their BLOB.
FreeBSD dropped also the nouveau driver.=20

oh =20