Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:30:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        rnordier@FreeBSD.org, msmith@FreeBSD.org, Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: Setting the video mode during boot (was: Re: VGA card (mis)b

On 28-Jan-00 Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
>>> The word at 0x463 in the BIOS data area tells at which I/O address the
>>> CRTC is sitting on.  It's 0x3b4 for the monochrome adapter and EGA/VGA
>>> in a monochrome mode, and 0x3d4 for CGA and EGA/VGA in a color mode.
>>>
>>> So, we should try to set the mode 3 when we find 0x3d4 and the mode 7
>>> for 0x3b4.
>>
>>I knew someone would know. :)  I'll try to work on a patch for this tonight
>>if I have time.  Would it be ok if this was done very early on, like before
>>the loader binary itself was started?  IOW, do it in btxldr?  We might also
>>want to do it in boot1.
>
> There probably isn't much space in boot1.

I think we can fit it in boot1, at least I'm going to try.  Even boot2 would
be before btxldr was run. IMO, here's what we should do:

After we run the code to detect a serial console in boot[12], or cdldr, or
the forthcoming pxeldr, if it is not a serial console, then reset the video
mode to either 3 or 7 based on the word at 0x463.  Then it's done at the
very beginning of the process before btxldr is started.