Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 05:28:00 -0700
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freeBSD.org
Subject:   global Makefile(s) BINDIR inconsistency with DESTDIR

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

Forgive me if this is incorrect, but there appears to be a major
inconsistency in the use of ${BINDIR} througout the heirarchy, in
regard to ${DESTDIR} and installation.  I am not fully certain what
the role of BINDIR is, but it appears people are also using it as a
destination install directory--without at least prefixing ${DESTDIR}.

I am trying to build a 4.0/CURRENT tree and install it onto a jaz
drive (or really any alternate drive)--so I can boot it without
effecting the stability of the primary OS due to my changes.  I am
building it ala:

    make buildworld && make DESTDIR=/jaz installworld

Everything is fine, except for not everything pays attention to
DESTDIR.  The problem is that BINDIR is not defined using DESTDIR,
which is OK, but then in some cases people use it as if it should.
If you doubt, cd to your source directory and type:

      fgrep BINDIR */*/Makefile

This probably would not have been a problem, but i am low on space on
my root partition, and when one of the things (dhclient) was installing
into /sbin instead of ${DESTDIR}/sbin, it filled up /.

Suggested fix?  I suppose we (I?) can scan the source for all offending
usages, which I am willing to do if this is really a problem.  My
suggestion would be to make a DESTBIN which is simply defined at the
same time as BINDIR, as ${DESTDIR}${BINDIR}.

If it is a prob, I can submit a bug report.

-Brandon Gillespie

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj--