Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 21:14:10 +0930 (CST)
From:      Christine Jaeger <fbsd@knfpub.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Successes

Hi Michael,

On 04-Oct-99 HEITMEIER, MICHAEL (HP-Germany,ex1) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since -newbies is also for boasting ;-) I just want to sound off the great
> feeling I had after the installation of a Soundblaster AWE64 went really
> well. And let me tell you that I was more than frightened by building my
> first kernel to include the necessary devices. Following the instructions
> makes it a piece of cake however.

Wow! There must have been a 'disturbance in the force' on the weekend from
audio waves :) I also went for the big sound card plunge for the first time,
though I wish it was a AWE64 and not my old SB pro.  I must confess it wasn't
that terrifying as I live with someone who can always bail me out of any kernel
horrors, but it was extremely satisfying having him sit nearby while I did
all of it (ok, he did have the occasional giggle watching me scratch my head,
but kindly let me struggle on - what a hero).

<snip>
> In summary an altogether very satisfying FreeBSD Sunday afternoon :-)
>
> Michael

Sometimes you just gotta dive in there and do it :) What will I try adding next
weekend, symmetrical multi-processing kernel for a 386? *laff*

Cheers,
Chris :)