Date:      08 Mar 2000 00:52:03 -0800
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/games/omega Makefile (fwd)

 * From: Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>

 * I'm not going to generate a security advisory about this, but reinstall
 * this port if you have it.

Thanks, for catching it.

 * In general, if you have anything installed which is setuid games on a
 * multiuser machine, it's a good candidate for removal (games aren't the
 * most securely-programmed things):
 *
 * find /usr/local/bin -user games -perm -4000
 *
 * Ports maintainers who own such a file (please check the above!) please
 * make the necessary changes to install it setgid games, not setuid foo.
 *
 * A user who exploits a game binary to get the games group probably can't do
 * much apart from alter game score/save files (although this still might be
 * a security risk if you can convince the game to somehow execute code you
 * put in the file), whereas if they have setuid games they can trojan the
 * binary directly for the next user.

This should not be allowed to happen.  Shouldn't all binaries be
installed without write permission?  That's the way it is in /usr,
maybe we should mandate it in /usr/local and /usr/X11R6.  (Hmm, why
does imake config files want to install stuff with permission *755?)

Satoshi