Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:16:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      swjatoslaw gerus <fullcrum@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   UNIX support,Portege 3480CT vs. IBM x20

Gentlemen

  Autor will buy IBM x20 or  Portege 3480CT  for
NASDAQ mobile  trading  with satellite(Telecom 2D
8° West downlink) and wireless low byte(mouse click&)
HSCSD and GPRS  uplink through Nokia 6310
and will:
  Install Solaris or Open BSD ,which support
Irda,Bluetoth,802.11b and  mouse .
   What is better to buy  in this case IBM x20 or
 Portege 3480CT ? What is your  point of view  ?
Point of view anothers persons is belov.

1.
--- Stefan Seyfried <seife+tdme@suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 02:00:35AM -0800, swjatoslaw
> gerus wrote:
   Autor will buy IBM x20 or Portege 3480CT and

> buy the IBM, at least they are officially supported
 unlike the toshibas and they don't have as much
> proprietary-we-cant-give- any-specs-hardware as the
toshibas. They are simply less painful.
 Sorry guys, but this is my experience.

 Regards,       Stefan
>  Stefan Seyfried, seife+tdme@suse.de, dl1gsn@gmx.de
######################
2.
>From:"Murray Stokely" <murray@freebsdmall.com>

I would suggest FreeBSD for your needs.  A number of
FreeBSD users have reported good luck with the Protege
3480CT.  I am not as sure about the IBM machine.
FreeBSD will support much more of the hardware
on this machine than Solaris will.  In fact, there
will not be an Intel port of Solaris 9 (they are
re-focusing solely on SPARC).
  Unfortunately, the sound card and internal modem are
cheap-proprietary devices that will only work with
Windows.  However,you can choose from any number of
PCMCIA modems and network cards for your machine.
####################################
3.From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>

I know that the IBM x20 is a little better supported
for the pccards that you can insert into it.  There is
an irda stack for freebsd, but no bluetooth one.
There's great 802.11b support in FreeBSD.  The
portege has a few minor problems with using multiple
cards at the same time.  I have no experience with
Solaris on intel, so I can't help you there.

Warner
4.From:"Bara Zani" <bara_zani@yahoo.com>

I would take ibm over any laptop in the market
go with FreeBSD and not solaris ( better drivers ,
more apps etc .. )

=====
Your Respectfully      Gerus(priwat person)

20306 Hamburg 36 ,Germany
Postlagernd Att:Mr.Sw.Gerus
tel: 0049-(0)178 -5545949