Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:31:47 +0200 (EET)
From:      Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry@atlantis.dp.ua>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, Joe Vender <jvender@owensboro.net>, Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pppd crashes, was: kde-freebsd] Question about KPPP on FreeBSD

Hello!

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Not that it contradicts anything you said, but it's worth
> re-emphasizing that there is apparently no-one in the community
> interested in maintaining pppd on FreeBSD, which is how it got to the
> current sorry state.

   I agree that the absence of ppp(4) maintainer makes it harder to fix
problems with this code. OTOH, I haven't found a single more-or-less
informative PR regarding ppp(4)-related crashes in recent FreeBSD branches
in the GNATS database. Maybe it's due to the poor repeatability of the
problem due to its race-like nature. I've decided to fill up this gap,
see

The problem looks like a lack of proper locking during the operations with
clist (specifically, this causes multiple entry to cblock_alloc()).
I'm ready to provide further debugging information on this issue.
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the locking concepts
in modern FreeBSD kernels (and in tty subsystem particularly)
in order to make the fix myself.

> Kris

Sincerely, Dmitry
--