Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 07:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      john@t-f-i.freeserve.co.uk
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/18115: Errors in the Pedantic PPP Primer

>Number:         18115
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       Errors in the Pedantic PPP Primer
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Errors found in freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/book.html
(The Pedantic PPP Primer)
Go to www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/book.html
>Fix:
In section 2.1 in the paragraph after # hostname, there's a reference
to section 3.2 This should refer to section 2.2.

Similarly, at the end of section 2.2 the reference to Section 3.4
should be to section 2.4.

The second paragraph of section 2.3 also refers to section 3.4, this
should be to section 2.4

The last number in the 2nd. paragraph of section 2.4 should be 2.2

In section 2.5.2 there are two more references to 3.* which should
be to 2.*

In section 2.3 there's a line which says "About 85 lines down from the
top..." Referring to /etc/rc.conf. As this file now only contains the
overrides it probably won't have 85 lines.

Perhaps /etc/defaults/rc.conf should be mentioned here.

Section 3.1 suggests backing up the default PPP configuration files in
/etc/ppp/. I believe these have moved to /usr/share/examples/ppp/ least
there normally isn't a default ppp.conf in /etc/ppp/

Section 3.2 also refers to these files.

Section 3.2.1 Refers to the handbook. The URL is missing (XXX URL? XXX)
I think this should be to www.freebsd.org/handbook/userppp.html

The ppp.conf example doesn't show that there should be indentation of
the text. This is _most_ important.[1]

In the default section it's impossible to tell where the 'set dial' line
wraps. (Should there be a space after M0 or not.) I guess this is always
difficult to show unequivocally.

The third paragraph of section 3.2.1.3 refers to paragraph ??? and in
paragraph 11 there's a reference to section ??

The second paragraph of section 3.3 refers to section 6. It should be 5.

The last line of section 3.3 refers to section 5. It should be 4.

The last number in the 2nd. bulleted line of chapter 4.1 should be 2.4.
Likewise at the end of the paragraph before the bullets.
Ditto for sections 4.2 and 4.3

Chapter 5 Needs some work...
I haven't read Chapter 6.

Some prettification of the HTML may be achieved by:
(line numbers refer to the file freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/book.html)

Joining line 290 to line 289 and remove some spaces then
similarly join line 574 to 573 and then 898 to 897.

[1] This would fix the error mentioned above [1]
Then indent lines 1178 to 1186 inc. by one space
Then indent lines 1197 to 1202 inc. by one space
Then likewise for lines 1212 to 1219 inc.

Then remove the "=" at the end of line 1782 and 1801
Then remove line 1794
Then remove the " _" at the end of line 582

I HopeThisHelps; sorry to be so (umm) pedantic ;-)
John.