Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 96 20:50:07 PST
From:      "Brett Glass" <Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot boot after install

I've just installed FreeBSD three times on an EISA system with 20 MB of
RAM, an UltraStor 24F SCSI host adapter, and a DEC DSP5200 2 GB hard disk.
I can partition the drive and bring in the OS across the Internet, but when
I try to reboot after the installation the system fails to bootstrap
properly from the hard disk.

I've tried swapping the SCSI host adapter with an Adaptec; same results.
There do not appear to be any hardware conflicts. I've seen messages on the
Net regarding problems with disks over 1 GB -- a problem I had assumed I'd
avoided due to sector translation. (Both controllers translate the geometry
to look as if it has less than 1024 cylinders.) I've tried installing the
BootEasy boot manager and also committing the entire disk to BSD with no
standard partition table.

What is wrong? Insights from the developers would be especially useful, but
ANY answers would be appreciated.

--Brett Glass