Date:      Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:25:24 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        freebsdathome@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld resets system

freebsdathome@yahoo.com wrote:

> > some

> > chance
> > and
> > then
> > and

> > GENERIC,

> > > Well, I haven't tried getting a log and checking
> > it
> > > yet.
> > >
> > > I was worried that it probably was hardware
> > related,
> > > but hoped it was user error since I'm broke.
> >
> > What kind of cpu do you have? Some of the older
> > AMD's are sensitive to
> > cooling and a thin layer of heatsink goo helps. You
> > could have a fan
> > going out. There are a lot more answer's than
> > questions :).
> >

> Its an old AMD 486 and the fan is noisy. I guess thats
> the problem then. I had been meaning to replace the
> fan anyway. Thanks for your help.

They make a noise when they speed up and slow down. A buildworld heats them up.

> > I haven't had a problem building a system for
> > several days. I have one
> > machine I update on the odd days and another that I
> > update on the even
> > days. I haven't had any problems since 30-31 Oct.
> >

> > > I'm confused about the UPDATING file and most of
> > the
> > > commentary or documentation referring to it. Isn't
> > > that assuming that one is actually upgrading from
> > > previous version? I installed this version from
> > > scratch. Does it apply to my situation?
> >
> > Up to a point. There is a section on upgrading from
> > 4.x to 4.x-stable
> > (about line 192) and that applies if you are
> > cvsup'ing to update your
> > source. If you installed the sources, then you don't
> > need to do a
> > build[install]world. You can build a kernel using
> > the good old
> > fashioned config MYKERNEL ... make install. However,
> > most people
> > following stable have done a cvsup and the
> > build[install]kernel rule
> > applies.
> >
> > FWIW, I have a shell script that does a cvsup. Then
> > I use a script
> > written by Nik Clayton that  converts my cvsup.log
> > to html. Then, my
> > script does a buildworld, build[install]kernel, and
> > installworld. It
> > takes about 1:45 to finish. I have 3 systems that I
> > play with and none
> > of them have to be booted to single user mode to do
> > the installworld.
> > When I finish, I have a log of the output from each
> > step. I can point
> > you to a copy of the latest run and say it isn't
> > failing. If it does,
> > I can also point to where it is failing. A
> > buildworld runs about 5-6MB
> > and isn't something most people would want to view
> > :). The script
> > helps because I don't make typo's and wonder what
> > happened.
> >
> > Kent
> >

> Yeah I would like to check that out. Link?

It isn't anything clever. The main purpose was to provide me with an update
record that had a date timestamp. A copy is at
http://dsl1-160.dynacom.net/upworld.

You need a copy of Ben Smithurst's cvsuplog from
http://www.scientia.demon.co.uk/users/ben/software/cvsuplog/. That is the part I
think is clever. There is a port called cvs2html and some others. I like the
fact that these scripts connect my cvsup.log to
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/. It makes figuring out what was changed a
click of the mouse.

Then, all you need is 7MB of disk for each time you run it.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA