Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 11:42:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        FreeBSD Bob <fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why use tape for backups? (was: backup method reccommendation?)

On 11-Oct-99 at 06:43, FreeBSD Bob (fbsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu) wrote:
> > I have used 9 track ,QIC, Exabyte, DDS, and DLT.  I find 9 track
> > and DLT to be the most reliable.  I have more DLT tape drive failures
> > than media failures.  And they are fast, and hold lots.  They aren't
> > cheap though.  This is why at home, I backup to CD-RW, which hasn't had
> > any failures yet.
> >
> > David Scheidt
>
> Dave, and others listening.....
>
> What are the pros and cons of doing backups on CD's?
>
> I have been doing archiving on CD's for some months, and that seems
> to be working, but, it is a real hassle to go through the motions of
> tarring/compressing/isoing to write to a cd.... more than should be
> necessary.
>
> What is a reasonable approach to backups via CD's?  They are getting
> cheap enough that it seems like it might be a workable solution in
> some instances.

The biggest disadvantage I can think of is capacity.  It takes a lot
of CD-ROMS to back up a even single 9Gb drive; and compression doesn't
cut that number all that much.  Also I'm not aware of any reasonably
priced CD writers with auto-load capabilities to make automated backups
feasable.  (Of course, that could be because I haven't been looking
for them...)

-Pat