Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:02:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disk space over 1 TB

Hello,

> The i386 port uses the generic disklabel code, which has 32 bit logical
> block addressing, which means that the partitions themselves are limited
> to 1TB or so.
Will this change or GEOM will be the standard method? (and thanks, I
forgot that all of this is on IA-32)

> But one could theoretically use a 64 bit EFI layout on a large external
> raid and boot from a smaller disk.
I don't want to boot from the array, so this could be a solution.
Will this have any drawbacks comparing to the usual way (for example
stability, speed)? Is it in production use somewhere?

Could you please give me some pointers on this topic? (some kind of how-to
about the usage of this stuff, there isn't much about it, just the
manpage. Where could I find the userland part?)

Thanks,
----------[ Free Software ISOs - http://www.fsn.hu/?f=download ]----------
Attila Nagy					e-mail: Attila.Nagy@fsn.hu
Free Software Network (FSN.HU)		  phone @work: +361 210 1415 (194)