Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2008 12:23:31 +1100
From:      Norberto Meijome <numardbsd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java and IPv6 on BSD - it does not work well

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:43:18 +0200
"Frank Behrens" <frank@harz.behrens.de> wrote:

> > > You can read the complete test description and my observations on
> > > http://diario.behrens.de/2008/10/12/java_and_ipv6_on_bsd.html
> >
> > I cannot resolve the FQDN
>
> Really? I had enough page requests to be sure it works.
>
> > I have ipv6 enabled, but not configured. Any of my java programs that uses
>
> May be that's also the reason for your problem with the above
> mentioned website. It will resolve to an IPv6 address, too. :-)

i didnt test it with java :) anyway, all good.

> > network will fail unless i force it to use IPV4 with
> > -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true ( I actually have that in my default
> > shell : JAVAVM_OPTS_javaws=-J-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
> > JAVAVM_OPTS_java=-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true
>
> Yes, this is an easy solvable problem, if you want to use IPv4 only.
> But if you want to use IPv4 and IPv6 in parallel you will get more
> problems. Try to read the complete report...

I did .. and I didn't propose a solution, but wondered about it and my experience on a somewhat similar situation ( freebsd + java + IPv6 +4 ).
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"And that's one reason we like to believe in genius. It gives us an excuse for being lazy."
   Paul Graham