Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 01:29:38 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Anthony Atkielski (anthony@freebie.atkielski.com) wrote:

> > My mother, for example, may be better off using
> > Windows on her desktop, not for any technical
> > reason, because if she has a problem she can ask
> > almost anyone who uses computers about it.
>
> That's one argument in favor of Windows.

The flip side of this is that if you have a *real* problem with Windows,
it is often impossible to cut through the noise when doing a Google
search for help. There's a tremendous amount of bad advice out there.
And Microsoft's Knowledge Base is almost always a waste of time.

Solving problems on a FreeBSD box is comparatively easy. I do a Google
search on this list and I almost never have to ask a question here.
Minimal noise.

Personally, I would never argue that FreeBSD should be installed on
everyone's desktop. But I'm pretty sure it belongs on mine.

I began buying personal computers back when the owner's manuals
contained instructions for programming your computer. To me, and
to many others, that's what you do with a computer: you program
it.

Microsoft has *completely* stripped that aspect of computing from
Windows. As such, the default install of Windows (any flavor) is a
terrible desktop environment for someone who still wants to do some
programming.

Microsoft has raised a whole generation of people who believe that
in order to program a computer, you've got to purchase a copy of
Microsoft Visual Studio for $950. Sure you could use gcc, but
Windows doesn't even provide a text editor with line numbers. I got
one off of TuCows, but it *expired* after 30 days and I didn't
really think it was worth $30. By the time I realized I could have
been running Emacs, I had already wiped WinNT from my desktop for
good.

FreeBSD, because of its academic/UNIX heritage, makes an absolutely
wonderful desktop for programmers. The default install contains one of
the greatest programming editors of all time (vi), compilers for C and
C++, a Perl interpreter, and one of the greatest version control systems
ever made (CVS). And yes, I want all this on my desktop machine, and
wouldn't feel right without it.

Plus, FreeBSD has a shell you can use productively, which is
important for those of us who believe that one can be far more
productive in a shell than in a GUI. (Try globbing filenames in a
GUI, buster!) The "Command Prompt/MS-DOS Prompt" is a very sorry
excuse for a shell, and it obviously hasn't been taken seriously
since  MS-DOS 6. I think I could be more productive talking
my mother through a /bin/sh session than using the Command Prompt
directly. The situation is so dire I've installed Cygwin on *every*
Windows computer I need to use, if for no other reason than filename
completion.

The mere existence and popularity of Cygwin demonstrates that many
people prefer a Unix architecture to a Windows one. For many, this
preference is a general preference, whether you are in a server
environment or a desktop environment.

When you also consider that FreeBSD has an excellent web browser,
many superior email/news clients, nice CD ripping/burning software,
PDF viewers, xv and the GIMP, what more do you really need a computer
for?

Strike that. What else do *I* need a computer for?

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com