Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:46:59 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Karl Heller <kheller2@mac.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: D-Link Docs incorrect

If memory serves me right, Karl Heller wrote:

>   Please note that
> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET
>
> states that the D-Link DFE-530TX is supported by the vr(4) driver.
> According to the LINT kernel however, its supported by the rl driver.
> "Note that the D-Link DFE-530TX+ uses the RealTek chipset
> # and is supported by this driver, not the 'vr' driver."

If you look a little farther down in LINT, you'll see that the
DFE-530TX is supported by vr(4), and the DFE-530TX+ is supported by
rl(4).

> My 530TX is using the rl driver.  I don't know if there is a TX and a
> TX+ version.

Are you sure it's really a DFE-530TX and not a DFE-530TX+?  My
interpretation of the comments in LINT is that they are two separate
models with very similar model numbers, supported by two different
drivers.

The DFE-530TX+ is missing from the rl(4) section in the hardware notes
(I will go add this right now), but I think that the information that
*is* there is correct.

(Caveat:  I don't own any D-Link equipment.)

Cheers,

Bruce.