Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 15:55:47 -0600
From:      "Ryan Thompson [LAM]" <listaccount@home.com>
To:        Dave Ason <dgason@mindspring.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD support DVD's ?

> Dave Ason wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
>     I am getting ready to put together a new system. I'd like to run
> FreeBSD and Win98 on it...
> Does FreeBSD support DVD drives? If so, which ones?
>
>     Thanks, Dave
>     dgason@mindspring.com

Hi Dave.  I own a Creative PC-DVD Dxr2 drive (the second generation 2x
DVD, 24x CD-rom drive).  It functions perfectly as an ATAPI CD-ROM under
any release of FreeBSD I have tried (2.2.x and 3.0).  That is, ISO9660
or audio discs work very well.

As fas as DVD discs are concerned (i.e. movies), I'm not aware of any
driver/software support for the decoder card under FreeBSD (or any
UNIX/Linux flavour, for that matter).  Creative certainly doesn't
release X Windows versions of their movie player anyway.  :)

So... To answer your question as best as I can... ANY DVD-ROM (and,
likely, even the new DVD-RAM) drives should function at least as CD-ROM
drives under FreeBSD,  so long as it sticks with a standard interface
(IDE/SCSI) and I/O methods.

If you plan on running Win98, however, you will certainly have no
problem playing all DVDs (games/movies/other multimedia) under Win98,
and using the drive as a basic CD-ROM under FreeBSD.

Hope that helps at least a little bit :)

Ryan