Date:      Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:51:20 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

On Tue, Mar 03, 1998 at 12:22:59PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Simon Shapiro wrote:
> >
> > I have seen an interesting solution some time ago;  Instead of battery, the
> > spindle motor (on the disk) was used to generate the power needed to flush
> > the caches.  then the motor leads will be clamped, and the spidle shut down
> > quickly (normal procedure nowdays).  This was done on a 14" spindle that
> > had a bit more inertia than todays' disks. But the circuitry consumed more
> > power too.
> >

> spindle inertia is no longer used for power.
>
> I quote from the Qantum fireball programmer's manual..
>
> "You may apply the power in any order, or open either the power or
> return line with no loss of data or damage to the disk drive. However,
> data may be lost in the sector being written at the time of power
> loss."
>
> Other drives have similar stories to tell.
>
> We queried the manufacturers closely on this
> and they confirmed that they cease all operation IMMEDIATLY on
> recognition of power loss.
>
> julian

It is extremely dangerous to attempt to continue operating with unknown
power levels on a winchester disk.

In the extreme you could damage the format, rendering the sector being
written unusable.

In days of old, you could cause a headcrash (nowdays the voicecoil
positioners retract on power loss) :-)

You want the heads off the active media surface and the write gate off *now*
if you detect a power failure.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service