Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:07:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, julian@whistle.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: high-efficiency SMP locks - submission for review

> This brings up a couple of points..
>
>  2/ Before we rush off and implement a new set of locking primatives,
>     it might be a good idea to look at the locking primatives of a few
>     other OS's.. For example Linux and MACH, and if we can get hold of
>     them, Solaris and maybe the exokernel. (and sprite)

The Vahalia book (UNIX Internals - The New Frontiers) has a pretty
good synopsis of locking systems used by various OSs (see chapter
7).  At least from the programmers interface, I really like the
Solaris API (kernel mutexes and condition variables) - they are
well understood and easy to use.

It would be nice to get rid of the spl's and replace them with
spl aware kernel mutexes/condtion variables.

Dan Eischen
eischen@vigrid.com