Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 15:25:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   block I/O on a locked vnode

The following is copied from the comments of FFS code:

"Block devices associated with filesystems may have new I/O requests
posted for them even if the vnode is *locked*, so no amount of trying will
get them clean. Thus we give block devices a good effort, then just give
up. For all other file types, go around and try again until it is clean."

Can anyone explain to me when this situation will occur and, preferrably,
point to the place of the related source code?

Any help is appreciated.