Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:40:04 GMT
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/81931: Updates to bsd-family-tree document

The following reply was made to PR conf/81931; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson@ury.york.ac.uk>
To: Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 13:37:29 +0100

 On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 07:22 +0400, Maxim Konovalov wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > [...]
 > > -FreeBSD 2.0		1995-01-xx [FBD]
 > > +FreeBSD 2.0		1994-11-22 [USE]
 >
 > Where did you find this date?
 >
 > http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.unix.bsd/browse_thread/thread/a756e9be5cc40b77/7c97072ffb21281a?q=FreeBSD+2.0+Release+Announce&rnum=2#7c97072ffb21281a
 >
 > says 2.0 was announced on Nov 23th.

 That is the same usenet post that I found.  The release date actually
 depends if the dates are listed in UTC or not - The actual Date: header
 in the usenet post says "22 Nov 1994 19:14:59 -0800" (click "show
 options" then "show original")

 Given the paragraph above the timeline states "Time tolerance +/- 6
 months" I wasn't sure that 8 hours made that much difference :)

 > Why did you s/FBD/USE/?  The announces were issued by The FreeBSD
 > Project.

 I used it because the source of the announcements were usenet - and the
 description of USE is "usenet announcement".  It wasn't exactly clear to
 me if I should use USE or FBD for these as they are official
 announcements from FreeBSD Project, but were found opn usenet.  Use
 whatever you feel is best in this case.

 Thanks for looking at this,

 Gavin