Date:      Wed, 22 May 2002 08:38:02 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Masson <e-masson@kisoft-services.com>
Cc:        Kirill Alder-Ponazdyr <quak@mydiax.ch>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and LDAP Directory

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 02:20:23PM +0200, Eric Masson wrote:

>  Kirill> Greetings, Is there a way to get a FreeBSD to load the user
>  Kirill> account information, hosts, groups and other info from an LDAP
>  Kirill> directory (Sunīs nsswitch.conf comes in mind) ?
>
> http://www.nectar.cc/zope/freebsd/nsswitch
>
> Maybe Jacques has had time to work on since.

Nope, sorry.  Also, a mailing list was set up, lots of people joined
to `work' on nsswitch (including at least one FreeBSD committer), and
I recently took it down again after months of no progress.

We won't see a `full' nsswitch implementation on BSD until someone
with time and competency steps up.  Alas, it isn't on my map, but as
always I will be happy to share what I learned from my prototypes with
whoever tackles it.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos