Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 2015 14:58:28 +1030
From:      "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two drivers sharing a single PCI device

> On 7 Feb 2015, at 16:37, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org> wrote:
>>> You possibly want "D_TRACKCLOSE" in d_flags in your cdevsw.
>>=20
>>> What's the advantage of using the debug port over the regular EHCI =
USB interface?
>>=20
>> I don't think that would help. It is supposed to be (largely) =
separate from the regular EHCI controller - it has it's own register set =
and it can steal the debug port from the regular controller so it =
doesn't appear occupied (although there is a bit of messing around on =
port reset).
>>=20
>> The advantage is that it runs separately to the EHCI interface and it =
is quite simple to talk to, there is more information in appendix C of =
the USB 2 spec (usb_20.pdf).
>>=20
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> You know about "sys/boot/usb" ? If you could integrate the USB debug =
port to use the kernel USB stack HOST API, only limited to BULK, CONTROL =
and INTERRUPT, then we could easily use it there aswell. The EHCI debug =
port functions very much resemble those found in =
"sys/dev/usb/controller/dwc_otg*" for example.

Hmm I am not really sure what it's for.. Is it for the loader?

Basically I would like to be able to run a console and GDB port over =
USB, although I think it won't be quite as good as a 'real' serial one =
because it will have to start later (when the PCI bus is up).

FWIW I did get my driver and EHCI to attach at the same time - I =
iterated over pci_devq and allocated my own softc in MOD_LOAD. The next =
part is trying to get the EHCI controller from stealing back the debug =
port - it gets lost on reset I think so I need to work out how to tell =
it not to touch it (if possible).

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."