Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/36357: xe0: Xircom (CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56) how to enable the modem

The following reply was made to PR i386/36357; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: shanker <shanker@csam.com.my>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 00:40:01 -0800

 On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 08:15:55PM -0800, shanker wrote:
 [snip]

 > My modem is not working can anyone advice me

 A PR is not really the correct manner to get help with this. Try
 freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org for questions like this that are skewed
 towards notebook PCs.

 However, IIRC, you can either use the modem or the NIC, but not
 both. Here is what I would do. See the entry for your card in
 /etc/defaults/pccard.conf,

 # Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + modem (Ethernet part) (CEM56)
 card "Xircom" "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"
         config  0x27 "xe" ?
 #       config  auto "sio" ?
         insert  /etc/pccard_ether $device start
         remove  /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

 Copy it to /etc/pccard.conf. Comment out the line for "sio" when you
 want a NIC and "xe0" when you want a modem. After you edit the
 /etc/pccard.conf file, restart the pccardd(8) daemon,

   # kill -HUP `cat /var/run/pccardd.pid`

 So it re-reads the configuration files. Then reset the PC Card,

   # pccardc power <slot> 0
   # pccardc power <slot> 1

 You can also use pccardc(8) to setup the card manually and skip the
 file editing.