Date:      Sun, 8 Mar 1998 16:32:10 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/sys reboot.h src/sys/i386/i386 autoconf.c

According to Mike Smith:
> If your boot disk is sliced (has a partition table), and you have not
> upgraded /sbin/mount to the most recent version preceeding this change,
> you will have problems booting.
>
> This change means that if your current /etc/fstab looks like this:
>
> /dev/xd0a	/	ufs	...
> /dev/xd0s2e	/usr	ufs	...
>
> you need to update it to look like:
>
> /dev/xd0s2a	/	ufs	...
> /dev/xd0s2e	/usr	ufs	...

Er... Excuse me for the maybe silly question, but WHY is this done?
I mean... I run my disk split up between FreeBSD and Win95, and so there's
really no ambigiousness. There's just one UFS slice. So not having to deal
with the cumbersomeness of the "sX" part is nicer, and I went the other
way, for shorter names:

/dev/xd0a     /       ufs     ...
/dev/xd0e     /usr    ufs     ...

Also, on my other machine I have a SCSI disk for freebsd, and a IDE disk
for Win95. Computer boots from the ide, and then I use booteasy there to
boot from the SCSI disk. The SCSI disk is not "dangerously dedicated",
but it's just one big BSD slice. So... will I need "sd0s1a" on that,
or just "sd0a"?

  /Mikael