Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 13:48:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Matthew Dillon
had to walk into mine and say:

> :At work I've got experience with 32-port D-Link 10/100 switched
> :hub. It works fine except that it hangs occasionally (can be
> :reset by power-cycling). So we don't buy them any more. Also
> :at my pre-previous employer we had small 8-port 10Mpbs hubs from
> :D-Link and they had the same problem, so it seems to be a family
> :problem. With about 20 hubs there was a hang approximately every
> :other day.
> :
> :-SB
>
>     Oh joy.  Well, we'll see what happens with this one.  I
>     had a Sohoware superflex 10/100 hub and it hung nearly
>     every day.  I'm also testing out a linksys switch (I
>     bought a D-Link switch and a LinkSys switch).
>     Unfortunately the NIC cards that came with the LinkSys
>     switch, as far as I can tell, are no longer supported
>     in -current.

Uhm uhm uhm. You do *not* want to say things like that within earshot
of me. Describe the cards better. Describe how you came to the
conclusion that they aren't supported. What chip is on them? If it's
the LC82C115 then these are the LNE100TX Version 2.0 with Wake On LAN,
and they *are* supported: you need to use the if_dc driver. It should
be in the GENERIC kernel. This same driver now also supports the older
LNE100TX with the 82c168/82c169 PNIC chips. In fact the dc driver now
supports all of the DEC tulip workalike chipsets. (Well, except for
the Winbond W89C840F, which is still supported by the wb driver.) The
really really old LNE100TX cards were based on the DEC 21140, and
LinkSys doesn't sell those anymore, so I doubt you have one of those.

-Bill