Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 11:20:48 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@laserfence.net>
To:        peter.lai@uconn.edu
Cc:        ark@eltex.ru, <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, <adamtuttle@sympatico.ca>, <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSH or Telnet?

The problem is with more than just the cleartext password when you log
in... it's cleartext everything.

Consider this, you log in to your home PC, and get a prompt like this:

%

Now you telnet to a remote machine, log in with your clear text password,
nobody sees anything, and it's not a very important machine anyway, just
your office box which you want to instruct to download a file with its
enormous bandwidth... no harm here.

Now, you finished downloading, you get another prompt:

%

A few hours later you come home drunk from one wild party because you had
to attend to some serious tech matter on some very important corporate
webserver hosted in whoknowswhereville.

You see your local box prompt:

%

You do this:

% ssh some.very.important.corporate.server.in.whoknowswhereville.com

You enter your password to authenticate, you're in and fix the problem, go
to sleep, everything's fine.

The next morning, that very important server in whoknowswhereville is
hacked and not responding to SSH sessions, why?

Consider this... when you got back from the party, the % prompt you saw
was not of your local box, it was the prompt on the remote machine you
telnetted to.

When you entered your password for the very important server, it went in
clear text to your remote box, and only encrypted with a session key from
there. Some malicious brat who was playing with dad's computer at the
office, supposedly not downloading porn, saw your password for the very
important server and after you'd fixed the problem and logged off, he
logged on.

If that doesn't tell you that cleartext might be a bad thing, your cube is
probably under a rock, away from the imperfect world we live in today.

Will

--
Willie Viljoen
Private IT Consultant