Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:38:08 +0100
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@sunny.wup.de>
To:        mi@acs.bu.edu
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, andreas@knobel.gun.de
Subject:   Re: Printing on a DeskJet from FreeBSD

> Dear Andreas Klemm! On 26 Oct 1995 11:06:05 GMT you wrote:
>
> |[ speaking about apsfilter lpd input filter ]
>
> |Don't know where the problem is, you mention. I had _none_ of your
> |problems described above ... If you want to make an enhancement, then
> |please describe to problem more precise to me. Perhaps a logfile of
> |that what's going wron in your opineon ?! Thanks.
>
> Well, will try the package. May be I just have an old version? But
> it had echo -e in it (not available option on FreeBSD), pr -f (on Linux
> it is the same as -F, on FreeBSD there is only -F), etc.

apsfilter is now available for FreeBSD as port. I recommend you
to use apsfilter-4.9.2 from ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/----
Please look, where the port / package files reside !

> |Please, don't contribute modified apsfilter versions, without contacting
> |me first. I'm the one and only (as the author of this package) who
> |makes official releases ... Easy to guess why ... I'm the one who
> |gets the whole lotta e-mail, if something is going wrong ... !
>
> No-no!!!! (-;

Ok ;-)

> |: Also, I never tested it for PostSrcipt-printing (ghostscript will not
> |: compile without X installed)...
>
> |I think this is not true. But why don't you use precompiled FreeBSD
> |packages ??? They run fine !
>
> I like building things myself. Kind of a hobby (-: I'm pretty sure it
> insists on presence of X-libraries, which I do not have.

If you want to be so clever, to build the things yourself, then
please don't ask me such trivial things, if there are
	a) ports available, there you can see, what has to be
	   done, to get ghostscript running on FreeBSD !
	b) binaries available, that do their Job !
Excuse me, but if there is help available for "the clueless" (;-)
then please use that help, or what do you think for what purpose
that work was done ?
Get the ghostscript tar archive from the ports section, extract
it in /usr/ports/whateverpath.
Then you have something like
	/usr/ports/print/ghostscript-2.6.2/...
		the patches and scripts and files
	directory contains all the necessary diff to get it
	running. Maybe it assumes, too, that you need X11.
Then please browse through the Makefile in work/ghostscript/
and look for the drivers that should be included ...
simply remove the x11.drv or whatever it's called there ...
It's not that difficult ...

> |Did you perhaps forget to comment out the x11 driver ???? Look into the
> |makefile !!!
>
> I will....

It will definitively help. ;-)

BTW: perhaps I should recommend, to create ports of ghostscriot 2 and 3
that don't contain X11 stuff ... So that people can use it as print
filter without the need of having X11 installed ... ;-)

	Andreas ///