Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:34:07 +0200
From:      Rudolf Cejka <cejkar@fit.vutbr.cz>
To:        Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPv6 and cvsup servers

Jaeho Shin wrote (2008/03/31):
> If csup is popular and reliable enough, shouldn't we migrate our
> infrastructure upon it?  Since it's written in C, csup is much more

If I remember correctly, server part is not sufficiently tested or
rewritten yet.

> I'm not confident enough, but rsync
> could be another viable solution.  (Please forgive my short knowledge if
> similar effort is already going on.  I'm not actively using FreeBSD any
> more these days.)

Rsync is not as good as would be expected: It needs much more memory for
regular updates on server side (for example, one process needs up to
150 MB per one process!) and it is more unstable. There were time periods,
where it was almost impossible to run rsync on full FreeBSD tree without
an internal rsync i/o error. I hope, that it is solved now, but memory
is still the problem (having no time to test 3.0.0 yet).

> I just can't understand why the leading operating system for networking
> is still relying its update system on such a handicap'ed tool.

I can't understand so many other things, especially... ;o)

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology