Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:44:51 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

> >   If the context switch overhead is the same (or worse) with a userland
> > scheduler, then what are the "effeciency reasons" for having it?  Where does
> > the userland scheduler reclaim it's lost ground?  The only things my limited
> > understanding can produce are a number of trivial data structures that can be
> > moved from the kernel to userland. :/
> >   It seems to me that if {get,set}context involve kernel calls, then any
> > userland scheduler would, by definition, require N+1 context switches where N
> > is the number of context switches required by a kernel-only scheduler.  The
> > extra 1 coming from invoking the scheduler context itself.
>
> Remember that this is only true if someone is stupid enough to
> use the FPU, which is only useful for very specific tasks, most
> of which are non-threaded.

Huh?  Methinks Terry needs to make assume the world is just a *teeny*
bit larger than his narrow-view.

> For graphics and line drawing -- even
> curve drawing -- the fast graphics world all uses integer math
> and tables.  That leave us with special purpose number crunching
> that doesn't care incredibly deeply about its significant digits
> running away to exponent&mantissa-land.

Even simple statistics use FP math.  You're implying that FPU should
only be used by folks who have a real *NEED* for it, which is humerous
considering you're the one who usually bangs on the drum to make FreeBSD
useful for more folks. :)

Nate