Date:      Wed, 29 May 96 15:39:01 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Potential f77 bugs

 > Hackers,
 > I've been looking at the current implementation of the f77 wrapper
 > utility for the f2c+gcc combo, and I've discovered some potential bugs
 > with the way options are handled. (Actually, J Wunsch pointed out the
 > inconsistencies.)  According to the source (see gcc.c), the -onetrip
 > f2c option should be honored.  Thus,

 > %f77 -onetrip file.f

 > should cause DO loops to be executed at least once.  However, you end
 > up with an a.out file named netrip.  Other problems involve the -kr and
 > -krd f2c options.

 > %gcc -kr file.c
 > %gcc -krd file.c

 > work without reporting that the -k[] option is not valid for a C file
 > compilation.  The language specification for Fortran within gcc.c is quite
 > bogus.

 > Thus, I have written a new f77 wrapper utility that handles the f2c and
 > gcc options.  Additionally, I have written a short man page describing the
 > new f77 utility.  It should be noted that my f77 command does not currently
 > support all f2c and gcc options (many don't make sense to use).

 > If there is interest, I will submit a GNAT report with an 8k+ uuencode,
 > gzipped tar file.

In fact it seems that none of the f2c flags are processed by f77, and
that they are simply passed to gcc. (I also encountered this problem
when I wanted to use the -ext option).

I am interested in a wrapper able to parse all the f2c options!

Jean-Marc

 > --
 > Steve

 > Permission is hereby granted to forward this message in its entirety to
 > whomever you like unless I explicitly state that the content is confidential.

 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr