Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:22:43 -0500
From:      Loh John Wu <ljwu@sandvine.com>
To:        'Kris Kennaway' <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-ports@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: how to get freeBSD 5.1 pkg_add to install .tgz files

Well I had a 4.x system and I want to move to a 5.1 system.
I had some ports and packages that were on my 4.x system that I want on the
5.1 one.
I thought ports were never versioned?  Is there a split between
the 4.x ports and the 5.1 ports?  I tried to look for some
explanation about the differences between a 5.1 port and a 4.x port
but couldn't find any....

Does 5.1 not support tgz packages?
Like I have a verison of bash on my 4.x system that I wanted to put on 5.1
so I just did a pkg_ad on the new system but fails out.
I have also created some custom packages (tarballs with the pkg extras)
for my 4.x system which were gzipped.  Do I need to rebuild to packages to
use bzip2
for them to be usable on a 5.1 system?

What is the recommended method of putting new packages/ports on a 5.1
system?

Thanks,
John