Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 2002 15:14:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, grog@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Do we still need portmap(8)?

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > : It's been a while since we've used portmap(8) on -CURRENT systems.  Is
> > > : it still needed, or can it be removed completely?  At the very least,
> > > : the man page should stop claiming that it's necessary to run NFS.
> > >
> > > I think that we need a mtree.obsolete that goes through and deletes
> > > these sorts of things as part of installworld/upgrade scripts.
> >
> > I totally agree.. I was thinking that mergemaster could have a
> > 'hit list' of files that can be been removed.
>
> How will this work for "perl", which is not removed, but is instead
> replaced with a stub shell script?

Anything that gets overwritten during the normal install process
is already taken care of. We're just trying to get rid of files
which are not installed by 'make installword' but used to be once.

I.e., if a file is not installed by 'make installworld' then by
definition it's not required for a correctly functioning system.

-Archie