Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2007 23:34:24 -0000
From:      "Greg Hennessy" <Greg.Hennessy@nviz.net>
To:        "'Martin Turgeon'" <turgeon.martin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PF in kernel or as a module

> Hi all!
>
> I would like to start a debate on this subject. Which method of
> enabling
> PF is the more secure (buffer overflow for example), the fastest, the
> most stable, etc. I searched the web for some info but without result.
> So I would like to know your opinion on the pros and cons of each
> method.

For production Freebsd based firewalls I have always built the kernel with
PF. The idea being that if something does go pear shaped, there's a good
chance that at least the packet filter will stay operational.

OpenBSDs standard pre loaded /etc/rc filter  (which drops everything except
ssh & IIRC dns) would also be nice, but my understanding is that to
implement it on Free would break the startup elsewhere.

Greg