Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 21:58:11 +0100 (CET)
From:      "=?iso-8859-1?q?Pedro=20F.=20Giffuni?=" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WTC Payoff [11 september] (was Re: oh my god the nasa shuttle   blewup)

 --- Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> ha
scritto:

> [ ... list of disbeliefs about behaviour ... ]
>
> None of this is "dumb behaviour resulting from the
> attack on the WTC".

Yes it is, the US failed to provide security for it's
citizens and while they claim to be doing all this for
their "wonderful nation", they are damaging the
relationship with their environment. Some guy I met in
Spain said "I am not happy about 9/11 but it serves
them right".

> So how, specifically, does this make the attack on
> the WTC
> "effective"?  What is the "effect" it has had?

It has made a growing number of humans in the planet
join a the club of people that hates americans. The
objective of the terrorists were to:
1) Generate a "jihad" against the Americans that
oppress their countries.
2) Show that America was (is?) vulnerable and make
them fear.

> But so far, the continued existance of the U.S. has
> not been
> credibly threatened.

I do think the values for which America once stood are
lost. The freedom that the US once had was seriously
hurt after Sept. 11.

> Let me be blunt.
>
> Some people in the world don't seem to understand
> the concept
> of "Total War".

Realistically speaking, no country declares "total
war" to another. You are trying to explain rationally
something that is not rational (war).

By creating new terms to explain irrational behaviour
you are just justifying Sept. 11: a "total war" would
mean US citizens are targets, no matter if they are
innocent or not.

> Let me also point out that we have had nearly 60
> years, in the
> interim, to improve our technology.

And you have not achieved many results. Osama bin
Laden and the Mullah Omar escaped.

...<snip>

> If it comes down to "us or them", I have no doubt
> the U.S.
> *will* "solve the problem"; perhaps by engineering
> an enthnicity
> specific class 5 pneumo-virus, most likely
> targetting mitochondrial
> DNA, which is inherited matrilineally, using
> information obtained
> from the human genome project, to destroy its
> enemies utterly, down
> to the last living cell, before letting them destroy
> the U.S..

Sound like racism to me. Assuming you can distinguish
between Europeans and Americans, would you accept
collateral damage? .. let's say the many minorities
that are composed of US citizens?

> All I can say is God help the terrorists, if they
> ever succeed in
> becoming a credible threat to the continued
> existance of the
> U.S., because the U.S. believes in Total War.

they are scared, no doubt! <sight>