Date:      Mon, 7 Jun 1999 15:32:28 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        "'Alexander T. Petrusa'" <apetrusa@canada.com>
Subject:   RE: Hardware configuration

I'll try and field a couple of these but first a couple things.

1. What version of FreeBSD are you using?
2. Please don't send HTML e-mail messages to the list.  It is to your
benefit, because many people will delete these messages without actually
reading them.

Ok.. on to the answers...

	On a permanent basis, compile a custom kernel.  You can change some
things on the fly by using 'boot -c' at the boot prompt.  You may want to
take a look at http://www2.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook50.html#128

> 2. How to modify the addresses on a Network card?

	Edit /etc/rc.conf, if you mean on-the-fly while the machine is
already running, take a look at man ifconfig.

> 3. I have a cable modem, Internet access, I know everything about my
> provider's
> servers, but how do I make myself to use DHCP address on my card?

	First off you need to install one of the DHCP ports
(/usr/ports/net/).  There are both ISC and WIDE DHCP implementations.  I
don't know which is best, I personally like ISC myself.  It comes with a
sample script that is placed in /usr/local/etc.

	I'm sure someone else on the list with a bit more experience with
using DHCP clients will give you a more definitive answer.

> 4. Do you have a Novell Client to logon to NW5 servers?

	I believe there is one but for the life of me I can't find it... but
1st you need to compile a custom kernel with IPX included.

> Thanks for the info where to lok for answers...

	Hope this helps.

> The one who is not ready today, will be less ready tomorrow...
>

> Alexander T. Petrusa (C.N.A.)
>
> <mailto:apetrusa@canada.com>
>
> Phone: (514) 484-6815

	-Chris