Date:      Fri, 06 Oct 1995 03:00:28 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crash questions.

>    My news machine decided that it just _needed_ to die today after
>about 5 days of uptime without a hitch.  It's a P100, adaptec 2950 pci
>scsi, 32mb ram, several large drives (9, 4, 1 gb, respectively), nothing
>all that out of the ordinary.  It kernel panicked with the following
>messages:
>
>Oct  5 23:01:41 news /kernel: kernel page directory invalid pdir=0x1a08023,
>va=0xefbfe000
>Oct  5 23:01:41 news /kernel: kernel page directory invalid pdir=0x1a08023,
>va=0xefbfe000
>
>Oct  5 23:01:41 news /kernel: panic: invalid kernel page directory
>Oct  5 23:01:41 news /kernel: panic: invalid kernel page directory
>
>   I'm wondering if anyone has a quick idea of what happened, or if this
>one of those fluke things I should just shake my head about and ignore?

   Can you tell me what version of FreeBSD you're running? I think this is
caused by a page table page being paged out during a very narrow window when
a new process is being forked. I added some checks in the fork code that
should cause the machine to panic earlier if this is really the problem.
During the entire operational time of wcarchive (about 2 years), I've seen the
above panic a total of _1_ time...so I can't say that I haven't seen it, but I
do think it is very rare. I'll add it to my whiteboard so I don't forget about
it. I don't know if I'll be able to fix it before the 2.1 release, however, as
it might require an architectural change to fix...but I will look into it.

-DG