Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 1995 19:04:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        cmf@ins.infonet.net (Carl M. Fongheiser)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with BT445S?

> I swear -- I have no luck with SCSI cards.  First the NCR PCI card didn't work,
> and now I'm having trouble with the Buslogic VLB card.  (Yes, I have one of
> those maddening VLB/PCI 486 motherboards.)  I'm getting further this time,
> though.  Here's the configuration:
>
> Port 330, IRQ 12, BIOS disabled, synch negotiation disabled
>
> The card is correctly probed at boot time.  I have two drives on the SCSI
> chain, a Quantum ELS127S, and a Quantum LT730S.  The boot-time probe
> correctly identifies both drives.  The problem arises the first time I
> try to access one of the disks.  Here's an extract from /var/log/messages:
>

> Jan 12 19:43:30 ositos kernel: bt0: Try to abort
> Jan 12 19:43:32 ositos kernel: bt0: Abort Operation has timed out
> Jan 12 19:43:42 ositos kernel: bt0: Try to abort
> Jan 12 19:43:44 ositos kernel: bt0: Abort Operation has timed out
> Jan 12 19:45:24 ositos kernel: bt0: Try to abort
> Jan 12 19:45:26 ositos kernel: bt0: Abort Operation has timed out
> Jan 12 19:45:31 ositos kernel: bt0: Try to abort
> Jan 12 19:45:33 ositos kernel: bt0: Abort Operation has timed out
>
> Any suggestions?  Do I have something misconfigured?  Do I just have
> a bum motherboard?  Should I just stick to IDE :-)?

There are 2 common causes of the above types of errors, the first one is
an incorrectly terminated or over terminated scsi bus.  Please read the
termination section in your BT445S manual and make sure you have only
terminated the 2 farthest ends of the scsi bus.

The second cause of this is have the BT445S in a non-bus master VL
slot.  Try the other VLB slots on your motherboard.

A third, and not so common cause of this is some PCI/VLB motherboards
do not support bus master VLB at all, check your motherboard docs.

What chip set is on the motherboard?