Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 23:05:05 -0700
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz" <schluntz@gromit.pinpt.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ep driver buggy?

I have been using the 3c509 for a while now, and never had a problem under
2.1.  I even have three of them in my firewall system and have never had a
problem.  3Com has been good to me!

-Sean

At 08:36 PM 9/3/96 +0000, you wrote:
>I've had 3c509's give me no problems whatsoever on two machines I
>have running freeBSD.  Just for kicks, I bought two SMC 10/100baseT
>cards (the 9332, I think 'twas called) -- those cards were so buggy
>under Windows95 I _hope_ they are the high performance n'er do quit
>cards that I've heard that they are under freeBSD (I'm pretty sure
>that Yahoo uses those for their freeBSD boxes) - anyway, they are
>leaving their current Win95 hosts ASAP: on those machines at least,
>they suck!  The 3c509, once plug n play is off, everything's great.
>And 3com includes a DOS utility that is even useful, unlike SMC.

>> > Found this while browsing the FreeBSD handbook at freebsd.org:
>> >
>> > [from section 5.3.8. Networking]
>> >
>> > device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr
>> >
>> >             3Com 3C509 (buggy)
>> >
>> > What exactly does 'buggy' mean?  Is this up to date?
>>
>> The 3c509 driver has come on hard times recently.  It isn't very stable,
>> main example being that the card will 'disappear' until it is disabled and
>> re-enabled with 'ifconfig ed0 down' and 'ifconfig ed0 up'.
---
Sean J. Schluntz			eMail schluntz@pinpt.com
Manager Support Services		Phone (408) 997-6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation		Fax   (408) 323-2300
		      http://www.pinpt.com/